Discussing your car accident case with an injury lawyer: Top pointers!
Getting involved in a car crash in Roseville can be an overwhelming experience. Before anything else, check with a doctor and seek medical care for your injuries. No matter whether it is a whiplash or a severe burn injury, you should keep up with the treatment plan as suggested by the healthcare provider. Inform the insurance company and contact an injury lawyer before you start working on the claim. In this post, let’s learn more about the aspects of discussing the case with your attorney.
- Go prepared. Your lawyer will review your claim without an upfront fee, but you need to respect their time. Ensure that you are prepared for the session and have all the necessary details and records with you. Right from the copy of the police report (if you have it) to your medical bills, treatment plan, and income loss-related info, everything should be in a file.
- Share every detail. Lying to your attorney is never a good idea. Before a lawyer can take things forward, they will have to review every aspect and investigate the crash to gather evidence. They will take essential steps to establish who is at fault for the mishap. If you think that your action may have been partly to blame, let the lawyer know.
- Ask about the expenses. You are responsible for the additional costs related to case investigation, which may include travel expenses of your lawyer, the cost of hiring other experts, and court fees. You must have a fair idea of the out-of-pocket expenditures, and if you are in financial distress, ask the attorney if they can offer help.
- Know the lawyer’s rate. Injury lawyers in Roseville charge a contingency fee, which is dependent on whether you win the claim. If you recover a settlement, the lawyer can take 33% or more as their fee, and it is best to work on a clear contract. Make sure to discuss the factors that the lawyer considered before deciding on the percentage.
- Ask about communication. A professional injury lawyer will usually send you updates when available, but you must have a way to communicate with them. Car accident claims can take months to settle, but if you have a question, your lawyer’s office should respond in time.
Not to forget, discuss whether you must follow certain dos and don’ts as you file the claim. Your attorney will guide you through every step and provide the vital answers.